Friday morning at 9:00 am I went to the doctor. This was my final appointment before my scheduled Sunday induction. The doctor checked me and I was 2-3 cm dialated. She asked if I wanted her to strip my membranes to help speed along the process on Sunday. She said there was a possiblity I could go into labor naturally before Sunday.
I left the office, got my haircut, picked up Rocko from the groomer and came home. Eric and I were finishing up some last minute things in the nursery and relaxing at the house. I began feeling crampy and my back was hurting, but I read online that stripping the membranes causes those dull achy pains. So I just wrote it off to that and rested. Eric rubbed my back and I took a short nap. Around 5:00 the cramps were increasing, but still I didn't think they were contractions because they didn't feel like Braxton Hicks where my whole stomach would tighten up. I made dinner and played with Marissa. Once dinner was done, I started feeling these cramps stronger and closer together so I called Labor and Delivery. They said that if they were close together I probably should get checked (no urgency in their voice though)! At about 6:30 I was sure this was getting serious and we should GO! I called my friend to come watch Marissa but she lives an hour away (our close neighors were gone for Easter), so I had to call for more back up until Dana could arrive. I showered, Eric showered. I got our bags by the door, and we were pulling out of the driveway at 7:15 pm. The pain now was becoming unbareable and I was screaming and moaning in pain! From our house to the hospital on Ft. Bragg is a 35 minute drive. It is all back roads, but the max speed is 55 mph. However, I am married to a great "wheel man" and he got us there much faster!! I looked over and he was going 105 mph while passing a cop! We were weaving in and out with flashers on and me screaming at every contraction that were about 30 seconds apart!! Once we got to the gate, the guards flagged us on because they could hear me screaming!
We pulled up to the ER side and I got wheeled up to Labor and Delivery by a soldier nurse while Eric parked the car. This soldier, SPC Fludd, told me that he was going to help deliver my baby tonight! I was thinking, wait, you aren't a doctor (not knowing what the next 10 minutes held)...He pushed me up to the Triage desk and the lady there had two forms that needed to be filled out. She was slowly asking me all these questions that I couldn't answer because I was in so much pain. I finally snapped at her when she asked if I drink or smoke..."DOES IT MATTER??! I am about to have this baby in this wheelchair!" The ER boy wheeled me into a room and I hollered, "I need my epidural NOW!" The Labor Nurse laughed! They got me on the bed and I told them I needed to go to the restroom. The nurse told me to walk in there and go. I said " I CAN'T GET UP!" The next thing I know, my water breaks and I feel my stomach cramping up big time.
The nurse was putting her gloves on and said, "Oh, yeah, you're ready, he's crowning!". Eric said, "Well are you going to call the doctor or something"! The nurse pressed the call button, but he didn't make it. My body just pushed him out (I didn't even have to try) in two pushes. The first one his head was out and he was crying, the next one the nurse was catching him on the bed. The ER soldier was also there helping just like he had promised!! All I can remember through the pain is Eric saying "Look baby! You're doing it. He's here! He's here!" He was trying to motivate and calm me because I was freaking out! I didn't realize it was going to happen that FAST and that I could do it without DRUGS!! The nurse grabbed him up and put him on me. Within a few minutes, the doctor was walking in room! He handled the rest...
Eric Brady Kinard was delivered at 7:45 pm (just 30 minutes from leaving our house), a handsome 7 lbs. 4 oz. and 20.8 inches long! We were all in shock and no one believed us how it all unfolded! Brady did however have some low blood sugar readings which placed him in the NICU for 7 hours for frequent sugar monitoring. We were allowed to go in there and I nursed him. His sugars were regulated and we were able to take him in the room with us.
The other humorous part of the event was a few minutes after Brady arrived, someone came to the door and asked Eric to step outside. There were two MPs (Military Policemen) waiting to talk to Eric. They said they got several calls about a black SUV driving erratically, the gate guards called him in (more for an escort), and he was caught on camera driving wrecklessly!! Eric explained the situation and asked them if they wanted to arrest him!! He said that if he hadn't driven that fast, he would have been delivering his child in the car!! The MPs said they had to follow up on the calls and wanted to make sure we were okay! Wheeeeew!
We are so blessed beyond words and so thankful for a SAFE delivery of Brady. He was born on Good Friday and brought home on Easter Sunday! What a great story to tell him later!
Eric Brady Kinard
7lbs 4 oz 20.8 inches
Wiped out after a fast entrance into the world!
First time nursing...like a champ!
Can't really tell that I just birthed a baby :)
Brady in the NICU
One PROUD Daddy!
There are LOTS more pictures to share......I will do the best I can to post more this afternoon. Trying to catch up on some sleep!


3 comments:
All I can say is WOW!!!! And congrats! Can't wait to see him!
Amy that's an amazing story! God is so good!! Thank goodness Eric is a great driver! hahahaha What I want to know what did the cop do??? Congratulations to you and Eric on your sweet baby boy. He is beautiful!! Love ya!
Renee'
CONGRATS!!! I loved reading the story! We CAN NOT wait to meet our handsome nephew! Great job, girl!! Love ya'll!!!
Post a Comment