Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

It's Over.....

Another chapter is closing for Marissa, which brings a tear to my eye. What is over you ask? Well some people may be surprised to know that Marissa just stopped nursing!

My goal was to nurse Marissa to 1 year old and stop, however, once I started breastfeeding, I realized that it was hard to just STOP. Once Marissa turned one year I started weaning her off to just 3 times a day, then at fifteen months to twice a day, then around seventeen months to once a day just at night. This time at night was a special routine that we both enjoyed. It was time to enjoy each other since I was back at work and Eric gone. It was relaxing and allowed me to still hold her like a baby :)

This past weekend when my parents were here Marissa only wanted MeMe to rock her to sleep and was not interested in me or nursing. So I thought this might be a good chance to wean her off altogether. Deep down it broke my heart that this phase is ending, but I am so blessed to have nursed her so long. It was a great experience that I wouldn't trade for the world (or even for my perky boobs back :). I know that the benefits of nursing are great and I think Marissa is smarter because of it :)

I want to say thank you to my support team who encouraged me to continue nurising even when it hurt so bad at the beginning (my mom, Eric, my mother in law, Melissa, my Aunt Pam, my lactation consultant Marilyn Poston, and friends). I can't wait to have another baby to share this special bond with.

Here are the only two pictures I have of me nursing, which also made me sad. I wish I had more photos of this sweet experience! Post a comment if you nursed your babies!


Marissa nursing at a few weeks old


My sweet baby nursing at 11 months old!

7 comments:

Beth Priest said...

I did nurse my girls. I wasn't a milk machine so I lost my milk supply both times earlier than and year, with Darby I was devastated with Carson I had been there done that. It is a great bonding experience but be encouraged babies love their mommies and still "need" them even still.

My life....Ruled by BOYS!! said...

I LOVED nursing my boys!! I think that is what I miss the most about them being little! I'm so jealous that you were able to nurse so long! And let me know how getting your perky boobs back go.....mine never did become perky again :( Is that TMI! hehehe

April Kay said...

Hey girl! I, too, am a big lover of nursing! I did it until Mason was 15 months old. It was right when we moved to BG and right when he started walking, so all of those changes just made him so overwhelmed and not so into nursing anymore. It broke my heart and made me realize my little baby wasn't so little anymore. So many changes happened at once, so I guess it made it a little easier. And some bad news, I am JUST now getting my regular boobs back! After weaning 6 months ago! I still actually wear nursing bras at night just cuz they're sooo comfy.

The Kinards! said...

I LOVE that last picture...so sweet! I can't wait to nurse our little one...my mom has always told me how much she enjoyed it! I agree, it makes for some smart babies!!! Kiss the pretty girl for us!

Lisa said...

This made me tear up! I was so sad when both my babies quit nursing...one made it to 17 mths and one to 18 mths! I miss that time so much. People used to ask me why I nursed for so long but I am very PROUD that I made it that long. I did it b/c i loved it...and I feel I did the best for my kiddos. Be proud of yourself...you did GOOD! ;)

BeckyMuller said...

I nursed both of mine to a year. Addison was more into nursing but I wasn't working like I was with Caden! I still miss nursing Addison and she weaned 6 months ago! I can't wait to nurse another baby! (we did babywise too!!)

Becky Shull Muller

Jordan Carroll said...

I totally know what you mean! I was willing to nurse Brady as long as he wanted, but he decided that he was done just before his first birthday. One day I got him in my lap, he started nursing and then he just looked at me and stopped, and got down. That was it! I was totally unprepared...it broke my heart! But, now I'm nursing Noah again and I absolutely LOVE that time with him!! It's a special bonding time that no one else can get with him. Hopefully, he'll enjoy it for at least as long as B did!