Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, July 26, 2010

Deployment Reflections

As our 3rd deployment is coming to a close I have been reflecting a lot. I have realized how much I have grown as an individual, a mother, and a wife. I realize how strong I really am. Tonight as I was rocking Marissa I was listening to her lullabies which comes from the Sing Over Me cd which is a bunch of worship songs. The song, You are Good, touched me and brought me back to the beginning of the deployment when times were hard. It was hard for me to picture the end of this road. Every night when I would rock her this song would touch me and remind me that I couldn't do this deployment thing alone.....it was BIGGER than me. I needed God's love, strength, wisdom and patience. I am so thankful that I have a relationship with the Lord to help me through this past year. I can't imagine doing this alone! Here are just some of the lines from the song that hit home to me.....


When the road starts to turn. Around each bend I've learned, You are good, so good.
And when somebodys hand holds me up helps me stand, you are so good
With every breath that I take in, I'll tell you I'm thankful again.

When its dark and its cold and I can't feel my soul You are so good.
When the world has gone gray and the rains here to stay You are still good
With every breath that I take in, I'll tell you I'm thankful again.
And the storm my swell, even then it is well. And you are good.


Our first deployment we had been dating for a year before he deployed. The second deployment we had been married 2 1/2 years and it only lasted 3 months. This deployment was so much different with having 4 years under our belt and a 14 month old at time of deployment. I had to be strong for everyone! There were times when I just wanted to curl up in the fetal position and cry my self to sleep but I had to put on my happy face for Marissa and take care of her needs. I thank God for my job and Marissa to keep me busy and help the time pass this year. Here are some things that I have learned over this past year:


*I've learned that my strength isn't mine but God's!

*I've learned that the power of prayer is real. Every day we prayed for "Daddy". We prayed for God to keep him safe and bring him home soon. Marissa has learned how to pray and when I tell her its her turn to pray I love to see her fold her hands and say "I pray Keep my daddy safe. I pray my Daddy come home soon." I know God has heard our prayers and Eric will be coming home safe and soon!

*I've learned that I'm so thankful for all my friends and family who have gotten me through this challenging time. I have an amazing support system!

*I've learned how unpredictable the Army is!

*I've learned that over the thousands of miles I can still feel close to my husband through letter writing, emails, instant messaging and SKYPE (just for part of deployment).

*I've learned that distance does make the heart grow fonder.

*I've learned that everything that can break, usually does when your husband is deployed!

*I've learned that having the dog sleep in the bed with you makes you feel secure and warm!

*I've learned that a Christ centered marriage can endure this thing called deployment!

*I've learned that no news is good news and it's best not to watch the news!

*I've learned that 2 weeks without a phone call is no fun!

*I've learned that I'm more independent than I thought.

*I've learned to kill bugs!

*I've learned that I still hate to take out the trash, wash the cars, and do yard work!

*And I have learned that I am so proud to call Eric my husband. He is an awesome soldier who selflessly serves his country, sacrificing time with his family for those whom he does not know. He is an amazing husband to me and father to Marissa. I am thankful to be a Military Wife......

3 comments:

TigerTottie said...

wow!! good for you girlie. i am so happy that this will all be over for y'all real soon. we will be praying for his safe return. miss you guys.

My life....Ruled by BOYS!! said...

Amy, you learned so much this past year! But girl, a lot of it us as friends, already knew about you :) So glad that your deployment time is almost over! You are such an example to us all!

Jordan Carroll said...

Amy, I'm so glad that this is almost over for you and Marissa! Praise God for sustaining you and Eric, keeping you both safe over this year and for giving you the strength to hang in there! Thank you for all you and your family do for each other and for this country! You should be proud of Eric, and of you too!!